For years earlier than it came about, other people debated whether or not it must. And when Twitter in any case did double the utmost duration of a tweet–which it did a yr in the past as of late–a few of us had been skittish about such a basic shift.
But in step with some stats the corporate is liberating to mark the anniversary, Twitter hasn’t modified that a lot within the 280-character technology, except for getting a bit extra understandable and, perhaps, well mannered:
- The maximum commmon tweet duration has in fact long gone down through one persona, from 34 to 33
- 88% of tweets are nonetheless 140 characters or beneath
- Only 1% of tweets hit the 280 persona prohibit
- The use of abbreviations to avoid wasting house has very much lowered (and those that do use them, I feel, glance sillier than ever)
- Use of “please” and “thanks” are up through 54% and 22% respectively
When 280 characters arrived, I meant, in brief, to stick with a non-public 140-character prohibit. That became out to be difficult to perform, since Twitter additionally did away with the best persona counter in prefer of a little circle that crammed in as you typed. Today, I don’t obsess over what number of characters I’m tweeting. But please, Twitter–don’t even consider upping the rely to 560.