- Architects: Casas Melhoradas
- Location: Maputo, Mozambique
- Lead Architects: Johan Mottelson & Jørgen Eskemose
- Area: 230.0 m2
- Project Year: 2018
- Photographs: Johan Mottelson
- Other Participants: Architects without borderlines – Denmark, Estamos, KADK – The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, School of Architecture – Institute of Architecture, Urbanism & Landscape
Text description supplied by means of the architects. Casas Melhoradas is an implemented analysis mission on housing for low-income teams in the casual settlements of Maputo, Mozambique with a three-fold focal point:
1) growing choice development the best way to toughen the high quality and reduce the value of housing;
2) growing housing typologies that make the most of area and infrastructure extra economically to begin a extra sustainable city building;
3) attractive in the development of inexpensive condominium housing thru private and non-private partnerships to scale up the have an effect on of the mission.
The mission is performed by means of the Institute of Architecture, Urbanism & Landscape, at KADK – The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts Schools of Architecture, Design, and Conservation; the Mozambican NGO Estamos and Architects with out Borders, Denmark. The mission’s newest housing prototype was once finished in 2018 and is composed of a low-rise high-density row-housing typology with six dwellings on a plot the place there would another way are living a unmarried circle of relatives. Accordingly, the mission demonstrates how area and infrastructure can be used extra economically and thereby counter city sprawl and the rising infrastructure deficit.
All the dwellings have small deepest outside spaces with kitchens, as cooking is in large part an outside process in the casual settlements of Maputo because of the use of charcoal. On the flooring ground, the kitchens are put on the verandas subsequent to the side road, including a semi-private transition zone between the private and non-private. All kitchens are supplied with fuel stoves to scale back air air pollution and deforestation led to by means of the use of charcoal. The mission has small not unusual courtyards with shared toilets and laundry amenities.
The mission has a inexperienced roof the place an extra ground will also be added, which guarantees the mission a robustness in case additional city densification must be related in the house. Furthermore, the evaporation from the roof improves the indoor local weather in the dwellings. The mission was once constructed the use of in the community produced compressed earth blocks. Thereby, the power intake in the development procedure was once lowered whilst including the similar pink colour tone of the native soil to the mission.