- Architects: Sauerbruch Hutton
- Location: Castello, 30122 Venice, Metropolitan City of Venice, Italy
- Lead Architects: Louisa Hutton, Matthias Sauerbruch, Juan Lucas Young,Jörg Albeke, Isabelle Hartmann, Bettina Magistretti, Emanuela Mendes, Francesca Poloni, Tanja Reiche-Hoppe, Caroline Wolf
- Area: 20.zero m2
- Project Year: 2018
- Photographs: Jan Bitter
- Supporters: Polymnia Venezia / Fondazione di Venezia, Kvadrat A/S, Pollmeier Massivholz GmbH & Co. KG, iGuzzini illuminazione S.p.A, axis GmbH & Co. KG, Bozza s.r.l.
- Collaborators: Alessandra Chemollo (images) SCE Project (Stefano de Cerchio, Michela Balzano, Filippo Galvani), Giorgio Destefani, Studio Teonico (Giorgio Destefani)
Text description supplied through the architects. The set up through Sauerbruch Hutton on the 16th International Architecture Exhibition – La Biennale di Venezia, FREESPACE, curated through Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara, is a small area enclosed through a bushes framework positioned among the enormous construction of the Corderie. While its decrease phase is opaque, its higher phase, the place a trend of colored weaves counters the stern geometry of the body, radiates a seductive glow. Inside, the color remedy turns out to blow up the bodily confines and big black and white pictures beneath in a similar fashion seem to extend the gap. The set up condenses the architectural subject matters of Sauerbruch Hutton’s M9 Museum District in Venice Mestre.
Adding recent interventions to the palimpsest of Mestre’s centre, M9 provides a brand new form of curated public area that evokes synergies between cultural, social and business actions. Primarily outlined through volumetric composition, the areas of M9 are knowledgeable via their subject matter and chromatic presence, actively attractive the customer in a play between visible belief and haptic fact.
For M9 freespace is a liminal zone between the general public and the personal spheres that gives itself for profession. Sauerbruch Hutton’s structure supplies amenity and explicit atmospheres. Liberating in intent, it nonetheless by no means betrays the basically restricting act of development. Thus the oxymoron of freespace catches an very important situation in their architectural observe.